Thursday, March 16, 2017

Review: Beast: A Bear Mountain Story (Project Zed #1) by Kelex

beastTitle ~ Beast: A Bear Mountain Story (Project Zed #1)

Author ~ Kelex

Publisher ~ Twisted E-Publishing

Published ~ 20th February 2017

Genre ~ Paranormal M/M Romance

Rating

1c_thumb21c_thumb31c_thumb41c_thumb5

goodreads-add-to_thumb

Synopsis

A shifter altered into a beast, transformed into a weapon…
Subject Z-701 has few memories. Kept in a drug-induced haze and controlled through neural transmitters, he’s let out of his cage when death and destruction is what’s desired.
Until an accident changes his fate.
Freedom beckons, but he finds himself in yet another cage. Without the drugs, the voices get louder, pushing him to the edge of his already precarious sanity.
If it wasn’t for him, the one person able to calm the voices and keep him from teetering into the abyss.
Samuel…
Tossed between heaven and hell, he must forge a path toward Samuel or be lost forevermore.
Project Zed is a spin-off series from the Bear Mountain series. Readers do not need to have red Bear Mountain prior to reading this book, but it is highly recommended.
This book is intended for a mature audience.

 

Cheryl’s Review

This book is part of a series and imho I don’t think it can be read as a standalone. It begins with a list of characters that you need to read before you can even start the story.

Predictably, I think, the story starts slowly simply because there are so many characters to introduce in a very short space of time. Frankly. I got confused and a bit fed up. It seems that Miller’s story started in a previous book and there is a distinct sense of being dropped into the middle of a story. For example, they talk about a serum and I’m really not sure what it is, what it does, and how it came to be. I believe it’s intended to help shifters control their animal, but apparently there’s been a plague raging among local people turning them into uncontrollable werewolves. None of that is explained beyond mentions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticizing the author because clearly these matters have been examined in previous books, however I am trying to convey my reasons why I don’t think the book can easily be read as a standalone. There are simply too many unexplained things, too many characters and too much frustration. But that might just be me.

Once you get past the introductions, the story fires up and gets interesting. Unsurprisingly, at the beginning of the book, Miller the “Beast” of the story title isn’t particularly likable, being insane and wanting to kill everyone. However, a flashback early on helps us understand and have much more sympathy with the man. Samuel, on the other hand was instantly fascinating and his flashback only increased my sympathy for him. Both the men and their relationship grow and change through the book.

To me, the book was all over the place, jumping between groups of people and time frames. Sometimes I like that kind of mental stimulation, but this time I struggled to keep up and although a consistent story emerged, I found myself fast forwarding past quite a lot of what was going on.There was a lot of fact-giving and detail that I didn’t consider particularly relevant.

That being said, the characters were interesting and well-drawn, and the story as a whole was gripping and both heart-warming and chilling. I prefer books with more emotional depth but I really shouldn’t complain because it does what it says on the box.

Personally, I didn’t like this book, but I’m still giving it 4 stars because I recognize it is a good book and other readers who are into more military action and scientific…stuff, will probably like it a whole lot more. I’m quite sure that readers who have read previous books in the series, are familiar with the characters so don’t have to catch up with so much so quickly and are invested in the world will love this book. I think most of my problems with it are that by the time I’d confused myself trying to get all the characters straight, then struggled with getting to grips with the situation and setting, I’d lost patience with the story and never really got into it.

Purchase Links

AMAZON GLOBAL LINK

two-line-dotted-grunge_thumb[6]_thumb[1]

Connect with Kelex 

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | WEBSITE | GOODREADS

AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

No comments:

Post a Comment